Seared Cauliflower Steaks with Red Pepper-Walnut Sauce #WeekdaySupper

Seared Cauliflower Steaks with Red Pepper-Walnut Sauce - A Meatless Monday dish that still eats like a steak. Big slices of cauliflower are seared in a cast iron skillet then finished in the oven, for a crunchy golden brown crust on the outside. Served over a ladle of Spanish-inspired pureed red pepper and walnut sauce. | foxeslovelemons.com

As soon as I told you I was going to start bringing you more meat recipes to balance out all the veggie recipes I post, I’m publishing something that I’m calling a “steak” that is really cauliflower. I know. I’m sorry / not sorry. Meatless Monday, y’all.

Have you ever tried sherry vinegar? It’s very expensive, but I happened across a free-to-me bottle after a recipe testing client re-imbursed me for a $16 bottle of it. I needed just a teaspoon of it for the recipe, but got to keep the whole bottle – score! Of all of the vinegar in my cabinet (there are about 22 bottles), sherry vinegar has the most interesting flavor, and instantly enhances or defines whatever it’s added to. I would even be willing to buy it for myself, because even though it’s expensive, it’s such a great ingredient to have on hand, and it lasts forever in your pantry.

It’s hard to describe the flavor of it; it’s something you have to try yourself. But I’ll try anyway: It’s deep and complex, tangy but not as acidic as most other vinegar, reminiscent of the sherry wine it’s made from but way better than that. It tastes like Spain. I’ve never been to Spain, but I think that’s what that country would taste like.

For this simple, Meatless Monday #WeekdaySupper, I seared some thick slices of cauliflower in a cast iron skillet and then finished them in the oven. You basically end up eating the cauliflower steaks with a knife and fork, much like a real steak. The three-minute sauce involves getting out the blender and buzzing around some roasted red peppers, walnuts and my beloved sherry vinegar. You’ll also need a piece of toasted bread, so when you make your toast in the morning, just make one extra piece and save it for dinner. Enjoy your edible trip to Spain!

Seared Cauliflower Steaks with Red Pepper-Walnut Sauce

Cook Time: 17 minutes

For the Cauliflower Steaks:

• 1 head cauliflower
  • 1 tablespoon vegetable oil

For the Red Pepper-Walnut Sauce:

• 1 jar (12 ounces) roasted red peppers, drained (or 1-1/2 roasted red peppers)
  • 1 small garlic clove
  • 1 piece whole wheat bread, toasted and torn into pieces
  • 2 tablespoons walnuts
  • 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
  • 2 teaspoons sherry vinegar
  • Pinch of kosher salt and ground black pepper
  • Chopped fresh chives, for garnish

1. Make Cauliflower Steaks: Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Cut two 1-1/2-inch-thick "steaks" from center of head of cauliflower (reserve ends of cauliflower head for another use). Use vegetable peeler or pairing knife to remove leaves and knobby sections of cauliflower stems.
  2. In large cast iron skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add cauliflower steaks and cook 5 minutes or until very brown. Flip cauliflower steaks; cook 2 minutes, then transfer skillet to oven. Bake 10 to 12 minutes or until cauliflower is tender.
  3. Meanwhile, make Red Pepper-Walnut Sauce: Place all ingredients in blender or food processor and blend until smooth.
  4. Serve Cauliflower Steaks with Red Pepper-Walnut Sauce, garnished with chives.

This recipe originally appeared here on the Naturebox blog.

8403137561_3bf910954c_oMake sure you check out this week’s other easy #WeekdaySupper recipes!
Tuesday – Happy Baking Days – Baked Stuffed Tomatoes
Wednesday – Take A Bite Out Of Boca – Baked Gnocchi with Spinach & Homemade Tomato Sauce
Thursday – Momma’s Meals – Bruschetta Chicken Bake

Friday – Hot Momma’s Kitchen Chaos – Stacked New Mexico Red Chile Enchiladas

21 Responses to “Seared Cauliflower Steaks with Red Pepper-Walnut Sauce #WeekdaySupper”

1. Renee Dobbs — February 10, 2014 at 7:43 am

I’ve been using sherry vinegar for a long time and just love it. It really does add such a nice flavor to so many things especially dressings and sauces. Perfect choice for this one too.

• Lori | Foxes Love Lemons replied: — February 10th, 2014 @ 12:41 pm

Thanks Renee! Ever since my first taste of sherry vinegar I was just totally hooked!

2. Shaina Wizov — February 10, 2014 at 7:48 am

I love the idea of cauliflower “steaks”! Meatless Mondays rock :)

3. Family Foodie — February 10, 2014 at 8:26 am

This sauce— I must try! I can imagine the amazing flavors of this dish!

• Lori | Foxes Love Lemons replied: — February 10th, 2014 @ 12:40 pm

Thanks so much, Isabel! The sauce freezes really great, too, so I always make a big batch so I have it on hand just to serve alongside chicken, steak, veggies, etc.

4. Sheila Johnson — February 10, 2014 at 12:20 pm

This is absolutely gorgeous! I love that you say a food tastes like a country, I so get that! A Detroit girl! Yeh Have you been to Supinos pizza in the Eastern market? I dream about that place! Love you blog so glad you found me so I could fine you!

• Lori | Foxes Love Lemons replied: — February 10th, 2014 @ 12:40 pm

Ohhhh yessss, I dream about Supino’s pizza topped with a soft egg. I haven’t been there in awhile, and now you have me craving it!

5. littleredkitchen — February 10, 2014 at 3:42 pm

I love sherry vinegar. I’ve had my bottle forever, I only use it sparingly and lovingly! I’ve been wanting to cauliflower steaks for a long time. This is spurring me to do it!

6. Lori | Foxes Love Lemons — February 10, 2014 at 4:59 pm

I’m wondering how long my bottle of sherry vin will last me. I’ve already had it 3 years, and I feel like I use it quite a bit, but it’s not even half gone. I guess it just speaks to the fact that sometimes you only need a few drops of the stuff to totally improve a dish!

7. Karen @ The Food Charlatan — February 11, 2014 at 3:57 am

I’ve been hearing all about cauliflower steaks lately, and this definitely looks like the best one I’ve seen. Love the sauce! Yum!

8. Pingback: Baked Stuffed Tomatoes for #WeekdaySupper | Happy Baking Days

9. Lori | Foxes Love Lemons — February 11, 2014 at 10:40 am

Thanks, Karen! Same here – I’d been hearing about cauliflower steaks (and whole-roasted heads of cauliflower) ALL OVER for the past few years. Finally tried it, and it was so easy and delicious. Wish I would have done it sooner!

10. Kira - HealthAble Old Soul — February 11, 2014 at 9:06 pm

I have heard of cashew red pepper sauce and it is known to be highly ‘good addicting’ so I am curious with the walnut taste!

11. Lori | Foxes Love Lemons — February 11, 2014 at 9:36 pm

I’ll warn you – this sauce is pretty addicting, too! I made it for this dish, but then ended up making extra that I put on fish, steak and chicken, too!

12. Tammi @ Momma's Meals — February 13, 2014 at 8:12 am

What a fabulous looking dish! Healthy and tasty I bet too, I love cauliflower!

13. Pingback: Bruschetta Chicken Bake for #WeekdaySupper | Mommasmeals.org

14. Lori | Foxes Love Lemons — February 13, 2014 at 12:59 pm

Thanks Tammi!

15. Pingback: More Tasty #RED-infused dishes: #WeekdaySupper Menu (2/10-2/14)

16. mommasangelbaby — February 15, 2014 at 6:12 pm

The sauce sounds delish, and I love cauliflower. I really should do meatless Mondays, with my pescetartian daughter. We always have to make a seperate dinner for her with all of us carnivores around. I love the idea that this sauce can be used on so many different things too! Thanks for sharing this awesome recipe! HUGS

• Lori | Foxes Love Lemons replied: — February 15th, 2014 @ 6:31 pm

Thanks so much, Cheryl! This sauce works so well on meat, fish and veggies. You could just put a big bowl of it in the middle of the table, and everybody could put it on whatever they are having for dinner :)