Roasted Cauliflower and Garlic Pizza

The easiest way to eat a vegetarian meal? PIZZA! Roasted Cauliflower and Garlic Pizza. | foxeslovelemons.com

I know I’ve mentioned it before, but my husband and I try to eat at least a couple of vegetarian dinners each week. One of the easiest and best ways I’ve found to make this happen is with PIZZA. I mean seriously, everybody loves pizza, and given the right toppings, nobody will miss the meat at all. Also, any veggie pizza is automatically 500% less greasy than a pie with pepperoni on it, so you won’t be doing the old blot-this-awkwardly-with-a-napkin-before-I-eat-it trick.

This roasted cauliflower and garlic pizza isn’t exactly a 10-minute pizza recipe, but it’s also not very hard at all. In fact, there are basically just three steps: 1.) roast some cauliflower and a head of garlic (this can be done up to 3 days in advance) 2.) make the roasted garlic cream cheese (this can also be done early), and 3.) assemble and bake your pizza (on a pizza stone if you’ve been lucky enough to have a friend buy you one for Christmas!)

My relationship with cauliflower is simple: I don’t spend any time thinking about it, and it returns the favor. I’ve never understood why RAW cauliflower is offered on veggie trays, and I’ve always steered clear. I decided to try working it into my diet a little more, and as with broccoli and asparagus, I knew it would be good roasted. You want to get it nice and brown, so roast it for about 50 minutes. You can put your head of garlic, wrapped in foil, on the same pan. That will take just 10 minutes longer than the cauliflower does.

Now, I made a big mistake here. I only roasted one head of garlic (the amount needed for this pizza). That means I had to resist the urge to slather it on bread and eat it before it got the chance to fufill it’s pizza destiny. Take it from me, always roast 2 heads. One for whatever recipe you’re making, and one for general snacking purposes. You’ll be happier that way. Really, who could resist this?

Once you’ve had a quick cook’s snack, mash your second head of garlic into some cream cheese. That will function as the “sauce” for this pie. Throw on the roasted cauliflower, chives, and shredded Parmesan. Because I still wanted a bit of tomato flavor even without the traditional sauce, I also sliced up some Roma tomatoes and put those on there, too.

Roasted Cauliflower and Garlic Pizza

• 1 head cauliflower, florets separated and thinly sliced
  • Olive oil
  • Kosher salt and ground black pepper, to taste
  • 1 head garlic, top of bulb trimmed off until tops of cloves are exposed
  • Nonstick cooking spray and/or cornmeal, for pan
  • 1 ball of pizza dough, store-bought or homemade
  • 1/2 cup cream cheese
  • 2 Roma tomatoes, sliced into 1/4-inch thick slices
  • 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
  • 1-1/2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Place cauliflower on rimmed baking pan. Drizzle with oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Place garlic on piece of foil; drizzle with a small amount of oil and tightly wrap foil around bulb. Place garlic on same pan as cauliflower. Roast cauliflower until very brown, about 50 minutes, stirring occasionally. Transfer cauliflower to bowl, then return pan with garlic to oven. Roast garlic until it is dark golden brown and very soft, about 10 minutes longer. Let garlic stand for 5 minutes or until cool enough to touch.
  2. Increase oven to 450 degrees F. Press pizza dough into large circle on pizza stone or pan (spray with cooking spray or sprinkle with cornmeal first if you’re worried about dough sticking). Bake 10 minutes or until light golden brown and almost cooked through.
  3. Meanwhile, squeeze garlic from it’s cloves into a small bowl. Add cream cheese and mash together with a fork.
  4. Remove crust from oven. Spread with cream cheese mixture, then top with cauliflower, tomatoes, cheese and chives. Bake 5 to 7 minutes longer, or until crust is cooked through and toppings are hot.

Making one of my recipes? Please let me know by sharing a photo on my Facebook page, or uploading to Instagram or Twitter with the tag #foxeslovelemons. It would make my day!

Yum

Stay Connected

31 Responses to “Roasted Cauliflower and Garlic Pizza”

1. Suzanne — April 23, 2013 at 3:54 pm

Never had cauliflower on pizza, this is a must try, your photo’s are stunning.

• Lori Yates replied: — April 23rd, 2013 @ 6:22 pm

Thanks! I don’t know if I’d ever had cauliflower on a pizza before trying this either, but something struck me to do it!

2. Puja @ Indiaphile.info — April 23, 2013 at 6:17 pm

I love cauliflower on pizza! This looks delicious!! 🙂

3. Laura Dembowski — April 23, 2013 at 7:45 pm

I love roasted cauliflower! Putting it on pizza is a great idea!

4. Liz Berg — April 24, 2013 at 2:04 am

Oh, my gosh, your pizza looks terrific! Roasted garlic AND roasted cauliflower??? I’m sold. Just pinned it…’cause I want it!!!!

• Lori Yates replied: — April 24th, 2013 @ 2:06 am

Awesome, thanks Liz! Please let me know how it turns out 🙂

5. Rosie @ Blueberry Kitchen — April 24, 2013 at 11:52 am

Your pizza looks so delicious! The only way I tend to eat cauliflower is with lots of cheese on, but roasted and on a pizza sounds like a great idea!

• Lori Yates replied: — April 24th, 2013 @ 1:14 pm

Thanks Rosie! Yeah, cauliflower definitely needs cheese for me, too! Or curry.

6. Sara — April 30, 2013 at 2:10 am

That is one amazing-looking pizza! Loving the roasted garlic cream chese – yum!!

7. Manju — May 1, 2013 at 1:20 pm

Thank you for yr womderful recipe 🙂 my son loved it …!

8. Manju — May 1, 2013 at 6:20 pm

Thank you for yr womderful recipe 🙂 my son loved it …!

9. Lori @ Foxes Love Lemons — May 1, 2013 at 7:03 pm

I’m so glad he enjoyed it! Thanks so much for reading!

10. inspiredtaste — August 26, 2013 at 1:30 pm

Your pizza looks wonderful. Just love that you add the roasted garlic and cauliflower. Yum!

11. inspiredtaste — August 26, 2013 at 6:30 pm

12. Lori @ Foxes Love Lemons — August 27, 2013 at 12:04 am

Thanks so much – this is one of my favorite pizzas, for sure 🙂

13. Ginlyn — September 22, 2013 at 1:11 pm

Do you you mean a clove or a head of garlic?

• Lori | Foxes Love Lemons replied: — September 22nd, 2013 @ 5:15 pm

Oh, I mean a whole HEAD of garlic, Ginlyn. Shoot – I just realized I said “clove” a few times in the post when I really meant “head.” I’m going to go back and change it now so it’s more clear from here on out. Thanks for asking!

• Lori | Foxes Love Lemons replied: — September 22nd, 2013 @ 5:16 pm

14. Amanda — January 13, 2014 at 8:40 pm

I just made this for dinner. It was awesome! The cream cheese/roasted garlic base made the pizza extra delish.

• Lori | Foxes Love Lemons replied: — January 13th, 2014 @ 8:55 pm

I’m so glad you liked it, Amanda! Thanks so much for stopping by and letting me know 🙂

15. kathryn lacey — September 26, 2014 at 2:04 pm

I use roasted vegetables a good deal on pizza for vegan daughter. A mixture of zucchini, peppers, sliced tomatoes, roasted cauliflower, eggplant, fresh herbs on a bed of fresh tomato sauce topped with vegan cheese. For those who enjoy mushrooms-they too are added. Sometimes crumble vegan patties as the “meat” which is not missed. For the meat eaters, I add Italian sausage and or anchovies. Pizza with a lot of ingredients is generally called pizza a la capricciosa- sort of as my whimsy takes me.
    Years ago, when my children (now in their 50’s) were at home, I used to make and store 9 inch pizza shells. When their friends came over, I used to set out all sorts of toppings for them to make their own pizza.
    It was fun, put their hands and imaginations to good use. They had a great deal of fun-in a safe place.

• Lori Yates replied: — September 26th, 2014 @ 4:43 pm

This sounds like such a great idea for kids, Kathryn! I could see doing something like this with my niece when she comes to visit. Thanks so much for stopping by 🙂

16. colleen — October 30, 2014 at 3:09 am

Store bought frozen pizza dough?  Are you really a ccrdible food blogger and chef?  Just how hard is it to make pizza dough?  Flour, yeast, honey, salt, water let dough rise, punch it down, knead the dough and you’ve got pizza dough.

The fall of civilization is frozen store bought pizza dough, microwave and fast food.

• Lori Yates replied: — October 30th, 2014 @ 9:44 am

I’m sorry you feel that way, Colleen. My mission is to encourage people to enjoy the act of cooking at home. In my opinion, that’s all about balance, and this recipe reflects that. Readers have an option to make homemade dough if they’d like, or start with store-bought. If feeling obligated to make homemade dough is the only thing that stands in the way of a homemade meal vs. getting fast food, then by all means, I think people should start with that frozen dough. I’m lucky enough to have a locally-made brand of frozen dough available to me that is made with just the ingredients you list: flour, yeast, honey, salt, water. I’m willing to save myself a little time in the kitchen by starting with a good-quality frozen dough.

17. Sara @ Don't Feed After Midnight — January 26, 2015 at 1:37 pm

This is just heaven on a plate! I love love love roasted cauliflower but never tried it on pizza before… It looks amazing, thanks for the idea!

• Lori Yates replied: — January 26th, 2015 @ 2:32 pm

Thanks so much, Sara! Roasted cauliflower is underrated, for sure. I don’t know why more people don’t love it like we do 🙂

18. Cheryll — February 2, 2015 at 7:49 pm

Sounds delish. I must try this. Thanks.