This Italian Farmhouse Rustic Pizza is a complete meal on a pizza. Includes prosciutto, ricotta, roasted yellow peppers, basil, pistachios and balsamic vinegar.
My husband LOVES making pizza – he grills it in the summer, bakes it in the winter, and comes up with a new flavor combo each time. In this monthly “guest post,” I’m going to sit back, relax, and maybe take the occasional photo while Jeff makes me a pizza and tells you about it. Here he is:
In continuation of my guest posts about my favorite food – PIZZA – I tried to come up with something I’ve never seen on a menu before. Most of us have had pizza that includes prosciutto or ricotta or basil, and probably a chicken pizza a time or two, as well.
Don’t worry, those traditionally awesome toppings are still present. But, it is the other toppings like balsamic vinegar, roasted yellow peppers, and crushed pistachios that book it a ticket on the train to Flavor Town.
You might be asking yourself, why pistachios? Well, I find that the crunchiness, saltiness, and lightly sour nature of pistachios can add a great boost of flavor. They are one of my favorite nuts. The ones here were simple to prepare . . . First, go buy yourself a bag of salted pistachios with the shell on*.
De-shell them and crush them the back of your knife or lightly chop them. It is my personal opinion that pistachios pair well with creamy things like ricotta and sweet things like balsamic – and that makes the combo on this rustic pizza classic in some way.
* I used those ones, Wonderful brand, with those crazy commercials – like Psy dancing. For the record, my personal favorite involves the Honey Badger (do yourself a favor and Google that if you have no idea what it is).
- 1 yellow bell pepper
- 1 ball of pizza dough, store-bought or homemade
- Olive oil, for grilling dough
- 1 cup pizza sauce
- 3/4 cup ricotta cheese
- 4 ounces prosciutto
- 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves, roughly torn
- 3 tablespoons crushed pistachios
- Good balsamic vinegar or glaze, for drizzling
- Roast yellow pepper in oven or over an open flame until very dark all over. Place in small bowl; cover with plastic wrap and let stand 5 minutes. Rub skin off pepper, remove seeds and stem, and thinly slice. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, grill pizza crust according to Grilled Pizza Tutorial. Alternatively, pizza crust can be baked in oven according to package directions. A few minutes before crust is fully cooked, top with pizza sauce, ricotta, prosciutto, and roasted yellow pepper. Cook until toppings are warm and crust is cooked through. Remove from grill.
- Sprinkle pizza with basil and pistachios; drizzle with balsamic. Slice and serve immediately.
Foxes Love Lemons, LLC is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and links to Amazon.com. There is no additional cost to you.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 534Total Fat: 28gSaturated Fat: 10gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 16gCholesterol: 34mgSodium: 1315mgCarbohydrates: 53gFiber: 3gSugar: 10gProtein: 18g
MORE GREAT PIZZA RECIPES:
- Chicken Pizza with Mozzarella & Roasted Garlic – either grilled or oven baked.
- Baked Potato Pizza – a comfort food mashup!
- Cheeseburger Pizza – the whole family will love this!
- “Home Alone”-Inspired Filthy Animal Pizza – great any time of year, not just Christmas.
- Fall Harvest Salad Pizza – Because I love piling salad on top of pizza.
- Roasted Garlic & Cauliflower Pizza – a reader favorite!
- Blackberry Bacon & Basil Grilled Pizza from Such the Spot
- Grilled Shakshuka Pizza from The Modern Proper