Mad Men is finally back on TV, and there’s nothing like tuning in with an Old Fashioned in your hand. While this cocktail is traditionally made with a sugar cube, I’ve been known to substitute everything from honey to agave nectar to maple syrup. Don Draper might not approve, but um, he’s not really the best person, so I don’t care if he approves! I don’t approve of a lot of stuff he’s done!
The March edition of Mitten Crate included a variety of interesting Michigan-made products:
- JJ Lomonaco Sicilian Cookies
- Herkner’s Original Fruit Toppings Cherry Topping
- Feel Natural Energy Raspberry Lemonade
- Erg! Energy Lemon Blueberry Fruit & Nut Bar
- Eli Tea Green Green Ginger Tea
- Michigan’s Finest Honey Honey Straws
The honey straws will be working themselves into my cocktails (and Greek yogurt) for the near future! Zou bisou bisou 😉
Want to try a Mitten Crate of your own? Click HERE to get started, and use the code FOXES5OFF for $5 off your first month’s subscription, or use the code FOXFREESHIP for free shipping on a one-time order.
Honey Old Fashioned
- 1 strip (about 1 inch wide) orange peel
- 1-1/2 ounces bourbon
- 1 teaspoon honey (1 honey straw)
- 2 dashes orange bitters
- Place orange peel in small glass and use muddler to gently release its oils. Add bourbon, honey, and bitters; stir until honey is dissolved. Top glass with ice and serve immediately.
This post was written by me on behalf of Mitten Crate, who provided me with a free box for recipe development purposes. I was not otherwise compensated for writing this post, and all opinions are 100% my own.