Who doesn’t love a shandy? This simple, refreshing Lemon Shandy is made with homemade lemonade and wheat beer.
Believe it or not, I used to be somewhat adverse to lemons mixing with other types of food. Lemon chicken and rice soup really confused me and I didn’t understand the allure.
What can I say? Taste buds change, and now I’ll order lemon chicken soup from the Greek carryout whenever I get a chance.
The mixture of beer and lemonade known as a “shandy” used to really perturb me, but you guessed it – not anymore! Today I’m bringing you a Meyer Lemon Shandy, because I’m still clinging to the last of this year’s Meyer lemon bounty. Feel free to use traditional lemons in this recipe instead.
You only need 3 ingredients (plus water) for this lemon shandy:
- lemon juice
- wheat beer
What beer is best for a shandy?:
This really isn’t the time to experiment with dark beers like porters or stouts, or heavily hopped or complex-tasting beers. Keep it light and simple, OK? My favorite is wheat beer, but pilsners and saisons are also great choices for a lemon shandy.
Wheat beer keeps it light and refreshing, the perfect accompaniment to something like wonton nachos.
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2-1/2 cups cold water, divided
- Juice of 3 lemons
- 4 bottles (12 ounces each) wheat beer
- In small saucepot, heat sugar and 1/2 cup water to boiling over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally. When all sugar is dissolved, remove from heat and let cool. Transfer to jar and refrigerate until chilled.
- In small pitcher, make lemonade: stir sugar syrup, lemon juice and remaining 2 cups cold water until well combined.
- Divide lemonade between 4 pint glasses or mugs. Pour 1 beer into each glass and gently stir to combine.
Foxes Love Lemons, LLC is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and links to Amazon.com. There is no additional cost to you.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 300Total Fat: 0gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 57mgCarbohydrates: 51gFiber: 2gSugar: 34gProtein: 2g
More great recipes for lemon lovers:
- Lemon Tahini Dressing – drizzle on just about anything
- Lemon Herb Baked Sockeye Salmon Recipe – a great recipe to have in your back pocket
- Lemon Cardamom Coconut Granola – brighten up your breakfast!
- Lemon Drop Margaritas – who says you need limes with tequila?
- Lemon Smoothie – one of those most popular recipes on this site!
- Lemon Snowball Cookies from Live Well Bake Often
- Lemon Butter Chicken from Recipes Worth Repeating