It’s here! It’s here! Thanksgiving week is here! I look forward to this week all year. I can spend as much time as humanely possible in the kitchen, and nobody bats an eye. I can make a ridiculous amount of food for a gathering of six people, and nobody judges (especially when I make this mashed potato bake with all the leftover potatoes). This week, I’m also thinking about everything I have to be thankful for.
Not all that long ago, I was stuck in a job I didn’t enjoy, and wondering what the heck I should do next. After many sleepless nights, distracted days and conversations with the hubs, it was finally decided that I should go to culinary school. So I did. But then I still didn’t know what to do next. Somewhere along the way, I started this blog. I started creating recipes and taking pictures of them. People started reading and commenting and saying nice things. And I started getting clients willing to compensate me for doing what I love. Everybody dreams of making a living doing what they love, and right now, that’s just what I’m doing. And I’m thankful.
I’m thankful for everybody that has stopped by this blog – whether it be for just a moment or a moment each day.To further say “thank you,” I’ve created this mega crazeballs awesome recipe for you. It can be made for Thanksgiving, or the day after using leftover mashed potatoes. Heck, it can be made any day at any time of the year! Mashed potatoes loaded with sour cream, cheddar, bacon and onions? Topped with crushed-up cheese crackers? I’m thankful this is the week I can eat a huge scoop of this loaded mashed potato bake and not really feel guilty about it. [insert mental picture of Joey Tribbiani wearing his Thanksgiving pants here].
Loaded Mashed Potato Bake
Use up leftover mashed potatoes in the most delicious way possible, with this mashed potato bake casserole loaded with bacon, cheese and sour cream!
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 1/4 cup coarsely crushed cheese crackers
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 2 cups mashed potatoes (leftover or fresh)
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 ounces shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 4 slices cooked bacon, crumbled
- 1 green onion, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup finely chopped red onion
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray small casserole dish with nonstick spray. In small bowl, combine crackers and butter.
- If using leftover potatoes, heat them in microwave 1 minute to soften. Add sour cream, garlic powder and pepper; stir until well combined. Reserve 2 tablespoons each cheese and bacon. Add onions, parsley and remaining cheese and bacon to potatoes; stir until well combined.
- Transfer mixture to prepared casserole dish and sprinkle with cracker mixture and reserved bacon and cheese. Bake 25 minutes or until heated through.