Savory Mushroom and Herb Steel Cut Oat Risotto #SundaySupper

Savory Mushroom and Herb Steel-Cut Oat Risotto - eat oatmeal for dinner! A cheap, delicious, hearty vegetarian meal.

The #SundaySupper theme this week is “New Kitchen Adventures,” hosted by Connie over at The Foodie Army Wife. This sounded like the perfect time to try out something that I’ve had on my “to try” list for a very long time: risotto made from steel cut oats. I’d seen it on a restaurant menu, although hadn’t tried it yet. A quick spin through the Google machine led me to this, which confirmed that the process for this risotto was exactly the same as it it for traditional risotto made with arborio rice. Which is perfect, because I bet I could make risotto with a blindfold on and one hand tied behind my back.

I’m so in love with this recipe for a couple of reasons. Primarily, because it alleviated my feelings of guilt for buying a tin of oatmeal purely for the container. Now, anyone who’s ever been out to breakfast with me knows: I really don’t like sweet breakfast (I don’t even like donuts, and I’ll make bizarro savory hashes out of sweet cereal). Pancakes and waffles only rarely have their place at my table, and that’s only at dinner-time. Never in the morning. So, the chances of me eating this oatmeal, in a sweet capacity, for breakfast, were non-existent. This risotto allowed me to eat them in a savory way, and it was damn tasty.

I made this a mushroom risotto just because that’s my favorite type of risotto to make. I’ve made all different flavors, but I keep coming back to basic mushroom-Parmesan risotto. It’s like an old friend. I used a large package (8 ounces) of traditional white mushrooms, as well as a smaller package (4 ounces) of “gourmet mushroom blend” (which included cremini, shitake and oyster), just to keep things interesting. This dish was PACKED with mushrooms, making it a very satisfying meatless meal. I also flavored it up with a leek and a generous amount of dried ground sage and fresh thyme. I kept it vegetarian by using homemade vegetable stock, but this would also be delicious with chicken or beef stock. I added a little bit of Parmesan cheese at the end, and boom! I was eating oatmeal for dinner!

Savory Mushroom and Herb Steel Cut Oat Risotto

Savory Mushroom and Herb Steel Cut Oat Risotto

• 5-1/2 cups vegetable stock (chicken or beef stock may also be used)
  • 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
  • 1 leek (white and light green part only), halved lengthwise then cut crosswise into thin slices
  • 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 12 ounces mushrooms (I used 8 ounces white mushrooms + 4 ounces “gourmet mushroom blend”)
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme leaves
  • 1 teaspoon ground dried sage
  • 1/4 cup dry white wine
  • 1 cup steel cut Irish oatmeal (not the quick-cooking kind)
  • 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese, plus extra for garnish
  • 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley, for garnish

1. In medium saucepan with lid, heat stock over medium heat until simmering, then reduce heat to low and keep covered.
  2. Meanwhile, melt butter in a large high-sided skillet over medium-high heat. Add leek and salt; cook 2 minutes, stirring frequently. Add mushrooms, garlic, thyme and sage; cook 7 to 8 minutes or until mushrooms are very deeply browned, stirring frequently. Add wine, cook 1 minute, stirring constantly.
  3. Reduce heat to medium. Add oatmeal; cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Add 2 ladles of hot stock, cook until oats have absorbed almost all of the liquid. From this point, you’ll just continue adding stock, 1 ladle at a time, and stirring. You do NOT need to stand and stir constantly, but you should stir frequently, so just do some other stuff around the kitchen while you linger. The oats should take about 25 minutes to cook (taste to make sure they are tender). You should have enough stock (be sure to keep the lid on it when you’re not using it, so it doesn’t evaporate!), but if you run out before the oats are tender, just add some water.
  4. To finish, vigorously stir in 1/4 cup cheese. Serve in warm bowls garnished with parsley and extra cheese.

Don’t forget to check out all of the delicious Sunday Supper recipes:

New Expeditions (Sides, Starters & Staples)

Grand Quests (Main Dishes)

Escapades (Sweet Treats & Spirited Companions)

I’d love to hear about some new kitchen adventures you’ve had!  Feel free to leave links and/or recipes in the comments. Also, please join us for our live Twitter chat tonight at 7pm EST using the #SundaySupper hashtag, and check out the Sunday Supper board on Pinterest.

46 Responses to “Savory Mushroom and Herb Steel Cut Oat Risotto #SundaySupper”

1. Paula @ Vintage Kitchen — April 28, 2013 at 11:47 am

This is genius. I have a thing for oats, love them in every way, sweet or savory, bread or breakfast. Can´t wait to try this recipe! btw, I bought so many things just to keep the tins…

2. Jennie Phaneuf — April 28, 2013 at 11:47 am

Why have I never thought to use steel-cut oats in a savory recipe? I l adore this recipe. It looks delish!

3. Jennifer B — April 28, 2013 at 12:02 pm

The pictures of your dish are making my mouth water, big time. I am absolutely bookmarking this recipe. I’ve never even made risotto, much less some from oats, but I’d totally give it a try.

Ps: I’d buy the oats just for that container too, lol.

4. Laura Hunter — April 28, 2013 at 12:17 pm

Okay I am obsessed with risotto but I have never heard of oat risotto, I need to give this a try.

5. Laura Dembowski — April 28, 2013 at 12:26 pm

I am so interested by this. I have never had risotto but have always wanted to try it. This seems like great way to ease into it with a familiar ingredient.

6. Jennifer@ Peanut Butter and Peppers — April 28, 2013 at 1:03 pm

Wow! Love that you used oats to make it! Awesome idea! I have to try this!

7. Amy Kim (@kimchi_mom) — April 28, 2013 at 1:47 pm

This is an awesome idea. And I just bought a tin of the oats. And yes, I opted for the tin versus the box, purely based on aesthetic reasons!

And I’m with you on sweet breakfasts! While my husband adds brown sugar and maple syrup to his steel cut oats, you will find me adding a little soy sauce, a little sesame oil, furikake (Japanese toppings), and sometimes kimchi to my oats. FOR BREAKFAST.

I will definitely be trying your recipe!

8. Jen @JuanitasCocina — April 28, 2013 at 2:07 pm

I’ve never made risotto…I’m not sure I can deny myself this one! Just gorgeous!

9. Renee — April 28, 2013 at 2:57 pm

You have me so intrigued with this recipe. I have to admit I do not like regular oatmeal for breakfast. However, a savory dish like this is one I have to try. Risotto-style oats. Who knew? How great!

10. german in pdx — April 28, 2013 at 3:35 pm

Like you I am also one to be able to make risotto often and in many different versions. It is such a delicious filling dish :) Risotto with oatmeal is an absolutely new version to me, but I am very intrigued. It looks fantastic! Thank you for sharing! ~ Bea @ The Not So Cheesy Kitchen

11. Chef Di — April 28, 2013 at 5:03 pm

Love these ingredients including the thyme, sage and parmesan, so nicely complimenting the earthy mushrooms. Yum… this would be a perfect dish for this rainy day!!!

12. Liz Berg — April 28, 2013 at 7:23 pm

Oh, yeah, mushroom risotto is one of my favorites, too. And now I have an excuse to buy that cute can of oats, too :)

13. Heather Schmitt-Gonzalez — April 28, 2013 at 7:40 pm

Steel Cut oats are my favorite, and I could eat them absolutely any time of any day! This savory version looks so earthy and delicious – I have to try it.

14. Heather King — April 28, 2013 at 9:04 pm

This sounds incredible. I love anything with mushrooms in it and my mouth is watering at your pictures!

15. Alaiyo Kiasi — April 28, 2013 at 10:12 pm

I never would have thought of a recipe like this, and I’m glad that you have inspired me. Now I have a reason to buy steel cut oats other than the nice can (which I also think is awesome(. Cheers!

16. The Ninja Baker — April 28, 2013 at 10:55 pm

I appreciate this veggie/oatmeal take on risotto packed with mushrooms. Very intriguing. I’m bookmarking this page =)

P.s. The Irish Steel Oats tin always grabs my attention on the cereal aisle, too!

17. Alice @ Hip Foodie Mom — April 29, 2013 at 6:24 am

yum! your risotto looks fabulous. . love that you added steel cut Irish oatmeal!! Wow!

18. Sarah Reid — April 29, 2013 at 1:10 pm

AMAZING twist on risotto, its awesome!

19. Soni — April 30, 2013 at 12:50 am

Yeah for Risotto!Love this twist on a traditional Risotto and its so full of flavor and healthier :) Will be surely trying out your recipe!

20. Lori Yates — April 30, 2013 at 4:07 am

Thanks for all the nice comments, everyone!

21. Stacy — April 30, 2013 at 10:42 am

I feel that same way about sweets for breakfast. In fact, I am not much of a sweet eater in general so I love your use of oats here! With two vegetarians in the family, mushroom is our go-to risotto as well. Your oatmeal risotto looks gorgeous but here’s the real question: Where’s the egg? :D

22. mushroomscanada — May 2, 2013 at 9:09 am

My favourite flavours, with less guilt- I love it! You just can’t go wrong with an earthy mushroom risotto…thanks for sharing!

-Shannon

• Lori | Foxes Love Lemons replied: — May 2nd, 2013 @ 9:37 am

Thanks, Shannon! I agree – mushroom risotto is ALWAYS a perfect meal.

23. mushroomscanada — May 2, 2013 at 1:09 pm

-Shannon

24. Lori @ Foxes Love Lemons — May 2, 2013 at 1:37 pm

Thanks, Shannon! I agree – mushroom risotto is ALWAYS a perfect meal.

25. Alaiyo Kiasi-Barnes — May 5, 2013 at 8:19 am

I’ve always wondered about steel cut oats, and I now I have a recipe to try them with (outside of breakfast)!

• Lori | Foxes Love Lemons replied: — May 6th, 2013 @ 10:05 pm

Thanks Alaiyo! I wasn’t a huge fan of the oats just cooked on their own as oatmeal, but I really like them just as a grain, cooked in different ways like this!

26. Alaiyo Kiasi-Barnes — May 5, 2013 at 12:19 pm

27. Lori @ Foxes Love Lemons — May 7, 2013 at 2:05 am

28. Rachel — May 7, 2013 at 8:35 pm

Made this last night and it was EXCELLENT! I added a bit of truffle oil because I had some, and that really elevated it. I served it with some sauteed farmers market zucchini and carrots with fresh basil, thyme and Italian parsley. Best dinner in a while.

• Lori | Foxes Love Lemons replied: — May 7th, 2013 @ 8:45 pm

I’m so glad to hear that, Rachel! I actually have some truffle BUTTER in my freezer (weird gift from someone!), and I was kicking myself for not using it when I made this! Next time, maybe! Your sauteed vegetables sound so good. I need to get to the farmers market soon myself.

29. Rachel — May 8, 2013 at 12:35 am

30. Lori @ Foxes Love Lemons — May 8, 2013 at 12:45 am

31. jmal — June 1, 2013 at 2:59 pm

This is fantastic. I added some chopped zucchini and squash toward the end for some added “crunch,” but either way it is genius:)

• Lori | Foxes Love Lemons replied: — June 2nd, 2013 @ 3:41 pm

Thanks so much jmal! Zucchini and squash sound like great additions – I’ll try that next time!

32. jmal — June 1, 2013 at 6:59 pm

33. Lori @ Foxes Love Lemons — June 2, 2013 at 7:41 pm

34. Michelle — July 12, 2013 at 10:24 pm

Delicious! Thanks for this awesome recipe!

35. Michelle — July 13, 2013 at 2:24 am

Delicious! Thanks for this awesome recipe!

36. Lori @ Foxes Love Lemons — July 13, 2013 at 2:31 am

You’re welcome, Michelle! Thanks for stopping by!

37. Steinway59 — June 19, 2014 at 4:56 am

I’ve loved steel-cut oats as a savory dish for a long time, especially when cooked only to the chewy stage. As pilaf, with onion, garlic, carrot, celery…your imagination is the limit. When making a “risotto”, one advantage is that the careful, gradual addition of stock and constant stirring isn’t even needed with oats! You simply cook them as per usual, and the result is as creamy and unctuous as any risotto could be. Healthier and WAY less fuss. Yum.

38. Lori | Foxes Love Lemons — June 19, 2014 at 11:32 am

Interesting! I’ll have to try the no-stir method next time. Although, I must admit, I sort of *like* the stirring :)

39. Sophia @ NY Foodgasm — September 3, 2014 at 5:06 pm

May have to try this one! YUM!

40. Susan — September 3, 2014 at 5:42 pm

This sounds like a wonderful change for risotto, especially since steel cut oats are good at keeping the al dente texture that risotto is known for.  For what it’s worth, I’ve found one pancake recipe that I really like for breakfast which is not sweet:  Quinoa Whole Wheat Greek Yogurt Pancakes from Cooking Classy.  Even the blueberry topping isn’t very sweet, so they might be worth a try for you – especially, perhaps with a different topping.

• Lori Yates replied: — September 8th, 2014 @ 11:29 am

Just looked up that recipe, Susan, and it looks fantastic! Thanks so much for telling me about it. I”ll be trying that on a cold day this winter when I just want to curl up with a stack of pancakes :)