Heirloom Tomato Beet Salad
Celebrate the best farmer’s market produce with this fresh and oh-so-easy Heirloom Tomato & Beet Salad. It’s pure summer on a plate!
I really hit my stride with epic farmer’s market salads in late July and August. It seems like ALLLLL the good things are in season, and everything is juicy and colorful to the max.
A “salad” becomes very little else beyond slicing, piling things onto a platter and drizzling with some olive oil and maybe a little lemon juice, or my citrus vinaigrette or creamy feta dressing if I feel ambitious.
About this Tomato Beet Salad:
For this Heirloom Tomato & Beet Salad, I just reached into my big bowl of farmer’s market produce and pulled out some heirloom tomatoes, beets and herbs.
I added a little barley to make it a bit heartier, and served it with frozen pizza because, #reallife. On a weekend, I like this salad alongside some baby back ribs (don’t forget the best rib rub when you make them)!
- 3 medium beets, stems removed, scrubbed
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper, divided
- 1/4 cup pearl barley
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 3 medium heirloom tomatoes, sliced
- 1/2 cup heirloom cherry tomatoes, halved if large
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh herbs (I used a combination of parsley and basil)
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Line baking pan with aluminum foil. Place beets on pan; drizzle with 1 tablespoon olive oil and sprinkle with an 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Wrap foil around beets to form a packet. Transfer to oven and cook 45 to 60 minutes or until tender (see Home Chef Tip). Remove from oven and let stand in packet for 10 to 15 minutes or until beets are cool enough to handle but not completely cool. Then, carefully use paper towels to rub the skins off of the beets. Thinly slice beets.
- Meanwhile, prepare barley according to package instructions and let cool.
- In small bowl, whisk lemon juice and remaining 3 tablespoons oil, 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper until well combined.
- Arrange tomatoes and beets on serving platter. Sprinkle with herbs and barley. Drizzle with vinaigrette and serve immediately.
Home Chef Tip: Exacting cooking time depends on the size of your beets. Small ones might take 30 - 45 minutes, whereas very large beets could take up to 90 minutes.
Foxes Love Lemons, LLC is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and links to Amazon.com. There is no additional cost to you.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 171Total Fat: 14gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 11gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 275mgCarbohydrates: 12gFiber: 3gSugar: 6gProtein: 2g
This website provides estimated nutrition information as a courtesy only. You should calculate the nutritional information with the actual ingredients used in your recipe using your preferred nutrition calculator.
MORE GREAT SUMMER SALAD RECIPES:
- Chopped Broccoli Salad with Cheese Tortellini – this one is a crowd pleaser!
- Great Green Salad with Miso Salad Dressing Recipe – simple and perfect.
- Watermelon & Avocado Salad with Warm Bacon Dressing – the best combo of sweet and salty!
- Apple Cider Vinegar Coleslaw Recipe – great with barbecue chicken or ribs.
- Israeli Couscous Salad with Summer Vegetables from Green Valley Kitchen
- Rosemary Chicken, Bacon and Avocado Salad from How Sweet Eats