I really hit my stride with epic farmer’s market salads in late July and August. It seems like ALLLLL the good things are in season, and everything is juicy and colorful to the max. A “salad” becomes very little else beyond slicing, piling things onto a platter and drizzling with some olive oil and maybe a little lemon juice.
For this Heirloom Tomato & Beet Salad, I just reached into my big bowl of farmer’s market produce and pulled out some heirloom tomatoes, beets and herbs. I added a little barley to make it a bit heartier, and served it with frozen pizza because, #reallife. It was a simple, balanced weeknight meal short on preparation time, but big on flavor. Just the way I like to eat!
Heirloom Tomato & Beet Salad
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh herbs (I used a combination of parsley and basil)
- 2 medium roasted beets, sliced
- 2 medium heirloom tomatoes, sliced
- 1/2 cup heirloom cherry tomatoes, halved if large
- 1/4 cup prepared pearl barley (optional)
- In small bowl, whisk oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper until well combined. Stir in herbs.
- Arrange beets and tomatoes on serving platter. Sprinkle with barley, if desired. Drizzle with vinaigrette and serve immediately.