The town that I live in has a ton of great independent restaurants. I mean, seriously, we are so lucky to live here and have all of these options, especially during the kitchen remodel. I especially love that there’s not many chain restaurants in our town. I’d always rather go to a local place instead of a chain, with one exception. When I’m craving a burrito bowl, it has to be from Chipotle. And the nearest one is a legit 45 minute round trip, which seems kind of ridiculous.
Milk Means More is highlighting “easy does it” meals this month. You know, the kind that can be made in one pot, or a slow cooker. I could think of no better occasion to finally try my hand at making some burrito bowls at home. I’m happy to say that they turned out great, and couldn’t be simpler.
Just combine some boneless, skinless chicken thighs, a jar of chunky salsa, a bit of chili powder, and some chicken broth in the bowl of your slow cooker, and let it do it’s thing for 3-1/2 hours on high or 7-1/2 hours on low. After that, you’ll shred the chicken, then stir in some instant brown rice, black beans and corn, and cook on high for 30 minutes longer. While that’s happening, go ahead and prep whatever garnishes you like. I used sour cream (Greek yogurt works great, too!), shredded cheese, avocado, red onion, tomatoes, cilantro and limes for my bowls, but feel free to just choose a couple of those for a simpler meal.
The dairy products used in these Slow Cooker Chicken Burrito Bowls were produced by members of the United Dairy Industry of Michigan. For more information on UDIM and to find out why Milk Means More, please visit their website and connect with them on Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram, YouTube and Twitter.
Slow Cooker Chicken Burrito Bowls
- 1 jar (16 ounces) chunky salsa
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 2-1/2 cups less-sodium chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 can (15.5 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups instant brown rice
- 1 cup corn kernels (fresh or frozen)
- Chopped avocado, chopped cilantro, chopped red onion, chopped tomatoes, lime wedges, sour cream (or Greek yogurt) and/or shredded Colby Jack cheese, for garnish
- In slow cooker, stir together salsa, chicken, broth and chili powder. Cook on high 3-1/2 hours or on low 7-1/2 hours.
- Transfer chicken to cutting board and coarsely shred; return to slow cooker. Stir in beans, rice and corn. Cook on high 30 minutes longer or until rice is cooked through.
- Serve garnished with avocado, cilantro, onion, tomatoes, limes, sour cream and/or cheese.
Adapted from No. 2 Pencil.
Disclosure: As a Milk Means More Ambassador, this post was sponsored by The United Dairy Industry of Michigan. Posts like this help me pay for the costs associated with this blog (groceries … lots of groceries), and help support me as I pursue a career in recipe development and food photography. All opinions are 100% my own.