Miso-Tomato Ramen with Meatballs
Well, it’s finally starting to get cold around here, and we’ve seen the first few snowflakes of the year. While the cold came much later in the year than usual, I have no doubt that Mother Nature will make up for this tardiness by crushing us with a cold and brutal winter. I just feel it coming, for some reason.
When I’m truly chilled to the bone, nothing warms me up like a big bowl of ramen. But not the typical college student meal you might think of when you think of ramen. No, my ramen has big flavors and lots of filling toppings.
For this Miso-Tomato Ramen with Meatballs, I wanted to start with something beyond typical broth or water, so I combined chicken broth with the tomato liquid from a can of Red Gold Whole Peeled Tomatoes (why waste all of that glorious tomato flavor?). I doctored the tomato-broth mixture up even more with a bit of garlic, ginger and miso, and a splash of rice wine vinegar.
Now it’s time to choose some toppings. I went big with meatballs, radishes, green onions, jalapeños, toasted nori sheets, halved tomatoes, steamed baby bok choy, a soft cooked egg and sesame seeds, but please feel free to choose as many or as few of these toppings as you would like. Enjoy!
Red Gold has been sustainably growing their tomatoes on Midwest farms for more than 70 years. This fourth generation family-owned company pick their tomatoes at the peak of freshness and can them in as little as three hours, ensuring the best quality. For more information, please connect with Red Gold on Facebook, Twitter, and Pinterest.
Miso-Tomato Ramen with Meatballs
Yield: 2 servings
Prep Time: 25 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
For the Miso-Tomato Ramen:
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- Liquid from 1 can (28 ounces) Red Gold Whole Peeled Tomatoes (reserve tomatoes)
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons rice wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons sambal oelek, plus additional for serving (optional)
- 1 teaspoon ground fresh ginger
- 2 packages (3 ounces each) dried ramen noodles, seasoning packets discarded or reserved for another use
- 4 teaspoons miso
- 6 homemade or store-bought meatballs, prepared
- 4 green onions, chopped
- 2 heads baby bok choy, steamed*
- 2 radishes, thinly sliced
- 2 Red Gold Whole Peeled Tomatoes, halved
- 2 soft-cooked eggs, peeled and halved
- 2 toasted nori sheets, cut into quarters
- 1/2 jalapeno pepper, thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons black sesame seeds
- Make the Miso-Tomato Ramen: In large pot, heat garlic, tomato liquid, broth, vinegar, sambal oelek and ginger to boiling over medium-high heat. Add noodles and cook until noodles are tender, stirring frequently. Remove from heat; stir in miso.
- Divide noodles and broth between two bowls; served garnished with desired toppings.
*Home Chef Tip: To quickly steam bok choy, halve lengthwise and place in microwave-safe bowl. Add 2 tablespoons water; cover with paper towel or plastic wrap. Microwave on high 3 minutes.
Making one of my recipes? Please let me know by sharing a photo on my Facebook page, or uploading to Instagram or Twitter with the tag #foxeslovelemons. It would make my day!
Disclosure: As a Red Gold Ambassador, this was a sponsored post written by me on behalf of the brand. Sponsored posts help me pay for the costs associated with this blog (groceries…lots of groceries), and help support me as I pursue a career in recipe development and food photography. All opinions are 100% my own.