Savory Yogurt Three Ways

Savory Yogurt Three Ways - Not a fan of fruity yogurt? Turn plain Greek yogurt into a savory, protein-packed meal! | foxeslovelemons.com

For years now, when I’ve eaten yogurt, I’ve only eaten it in private. Since I work from home now, this is really no big deal. Why do I do this? Because I only eat savory yogurt, and the few times I’ve done this in public (at an old office job) I just got weird stares and turned up noses. Never a fan of sweet yogurt, I’ve long wondered why the only flavored yogurt available at the grocery store is fruit-on-the-bottom or blended with fruit. Where is “beets on the bottom” or “basil pesto blended” yogurt? Am I the only one that creates these concoctions at home?

This all changed a few months ago when I was watching an episode of “Next Food Network Star” (don’t laugh, TV was a wasteland on Sunday nights this summer), and they happened to be filming a challenge at Sohha Savory Yogurt in New York. I quite literally jumped out of my chair in excitement. Other people were doing this! It’s a thing! I don’t have to hide! Since seeing this segment, I’ve actually noticed savory yogurt pop up in various magazines and even restaurant menus. Stand tall, fellow savory yogurt lovers. This post is for you.

I’m so glad that I’ve finally found a way to enjoy yogurt, because not only does it taste great (when it’s savory), but it provides us with bone-building calcium, as well as eight other nutrients essential for good health. Enjoying dairy foods as part of a healthy diet is associated with all kinds of health benefits, including a reduced risk of heart disease, type 2 diabetes and high blood pressure.

Since I had so much fun making fancy toast three ways, I decided to make three types of savory yogurt for you. I started with plain Greek yogurt (plain regular yogurt works great, too) from locally-produced milk, courtesy of members of The United Dairy Industry of Michigan. These Everything Bagel, Greek and Caprese yogurt ideas are just starting points for your voyage into the world of savory yogurt. What other ideas do you have?

For more information on the United Dairy Industry of Michigan and to find out why Milk Means More, visit their website and connect with them on FacebookPinterestYouTube and Twitter.

Savory Yogurt Three Ways

For the Everything Bagel Savory Yogurt:

For the Greek Savory Yogurt:

• 2 tablespoons finely chopped cucumber
  • 2 tablespoons halved kalamata olives
  • 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano

For the Caprese Savory Yogurt:

• 2 tablespoons chopped tomato
  • 1 tablespoon basil pesto
  • 1 teaspoon pine nuts

1. For each 7 ounce container plain Greek yogurt (or regular plain yogurt), choose one flavor above and top yogurt with corresponding toppings. Stir and enjoy.

Making one of my recipes? Please let me know by sharing a photo on my Facebook page, or uploading to Instagram or Twitter with the tag #foxeslovelemons. It would make my day!

Disclosure: This post is part of an ongoing relationship I have with The United Dairy Industry of Michigan for recipe development. Posts like this help me pay for the costs associated with this blog (groceries…lots of groceries), and help support me as I pursue a career in recipe development and food photography. All opinions are 100% my own.

Yum

Stay Connected

23 Responses to “Savory Yogurt Three Ways”

1. Doris — September 2, 2014 at 1:53 pm

I always ate savory yoghurt, and I do not like prepackaged sweet yogurt. If you’re middle eastern you will be used to eating yoghurt in everything from salads, savory puddings, sauces for meat/chicken cooking, to even yogurt marinades. It is such an essential ingredient in the kitchen, I will not go without plain yoghurt because it’s so versatile.

• Lori Yates replied: — September 2nd, 2014 @ 4:37 pm

I must be middle eastern at heart, as I always have a huge tub of yogurt in the fridge, and I use it in all the ways you described, Doris 🙂 It’s definitely a kitchen staple for me. I get twitchy when I run out of it.

2. Susan — September 2, 2014 at 4:25 pm

I can’t stand the fruit on the bottom yogurts, it’s too sweet and fake tasting for me.  Give me plain Greek yogurt and let me customize it anyway I want.  Now I haven’t done savory yogurt for breakfast but I like these as ideas to have with lunch or dinner!

• Lori Yates replied: — September 2nd, 2014 @ 4:35 pm

Yes! That’s the problem with that sweet yogurt – it never tastes like real fruit. I’m *sometimes* OK with plain yogurt topped with real fruit that I cut up myself. But most of the time, I would really just prefer savory, especially around lunchtime.

3. Sophia @ NY Foodgasm — September 2, 2014 at 4:59 pm

OMG I LOOOOVE the idea of savory yogurt, I tried savory oatmeal once and failed. The everything bagel sounds fabulous! must try!

• Sophia @ NY Foodgasm replied: — September 3rd, 2014 @ 5:01 pm

I think I added cheese and baked eggs on top of it… it just tasted off, Maybe it was tooooo much oatmeal, it was like 3 inches of oatmeal and not tooo much cheese with some eggs and arugula on top.

• Lori Yates replied: — September 8th, 2014 @ 11:23 am

Ahhhh, got ya. Yeah, I’ve found that you need to season/flavor savory oatmeal pretty aggressively, otherwise it just sort of tastes…like weird oatmeal. haha.

4. Sophia @ NY Foodgasm — September 2, 2014 at 4:59 pm

PS- the photos look GREAT!

5. Susan — September 2, 2014 at 5:28 pm

This is an interesting concept.  We generally eat Greek yogurt (plain, non-fat) for snacks, sometimes mixed with cocoa & Stevia or evaporated cane juice, sometimes mixed with frozen mixed berries for our snacks.  I really like Greek yogurt for a snack and if I were to do it for a daytime snack, a savory option would be very nice.  I always buy plain yogurt because too many fruit yogurts are sweetened with Sucralose (if you eat Sucralose you might want to read this article: http://foodrevolution.org/blog/sucraloses-dioxin/#fbSEO) which I can’t eat.  Also I don’t like too much sugar.  I would also recommend that if anyone wants to do yogurt as a snack to use the Greek yogurt because it has a really good level of protein.  Since I found Greek yogurt I have found regular yogurt to be pretty much useless… the Greek is far more nutritious.  I will probably try to figure out my own savory mixes.  Thanks for a great idea.

• Lori Yates replied: — September 3rd, 2014 @ 4:00 pm

I agree, Susan – Greek yogurt is the way to go! It’s just a little *too* tangy for me when I try to pair it with fruit. It’s probably an acquired taste, but I just can’t get on board with that level of tartness. But I guess there’s no real harm with just sticking with the savory versions I enjoy 🙂

• Susan replied: — September 3rd, 2014 @ 5:33 pm

I think that level of tartness is an acquired taste.  That’s why my husband always puts some evaporated cane juice with his.  My ability to tolerate the tartness might be understandable when you know that my favorite style of beer is IPA…

• Lori Yates replied: — September 8th, 2014 @ 11:26 am

It all makes perfect sense now, Susan 🙂

6. Gourmet Getaways — September 3, 2014 at 3:50 am

Sweet or savoury, I love yogurts! And all three recipes you have here are all worth trying. Yum!

Julie
    Gourmet Getaways

• Lori Yates replied: — September 3rd, 2014 @ 4:01 pm

Thanks Julie!

7. Thalia @ butter and brioche — September 6, 2014 at 5:06 am

I never would have thought to make yoghurt savoury before.. definitely curious to know what these three different flavour toppings taste like with yoghurt!

• Lori Yates replied: — September 8th, 2014 @ 11:27 am

Thanks for stopping by, Thalia!

8. Judith Ince — January 25, 2015 at 8:22 am

I have recently made dips with yogurt mixed with either horseradish or tartare sauce,  The tartare sauce one has  become a real favourite and eaten with mixed veges to dip is utterly delicious.  I’m about to try red pesto and yogurt  and see how that works, I imagine it will be delicious !  I’m not a great fan of the sweet yogurt at all and wish there was a niche in the market that I could fill with savoury yogurts here in the UK

• Lori Yates replied: — January 25th, 2015 @ 12:02 pm

The tartare sauce sound wonderful, Judith! Can you tell me what red pesto is, please? I’ve never heard of it, but I’m intrigued!

9. Sibongile — September 21, 2015 at 12:02 pm

Hi Lori, I’ve been hearing a lot about savory yogurt, and your recipes seem simple and delicious, (something about those kalamata olives and everything bagel seasoning). But just wondering, is savory yogurt eaten warm or cold? Somehow, warms sounds good.
    Thanks!

• Lori Yates replied: — September 21st, 2015 @ 12:04 pm

Hi Sibongile! I eat it cold. I’ve actually never tried warm yogurt, but if it sounds good to you, I say go for it!

• Sibongile replied: — September 21st, 2015 @ 12:14 pm

I didn’t grow up eating yogurt at all, and my unsophisticated palate, when I was younger, couldn’t take the tartness of it, savory or sweet. But once, years ago, someone I knew from Iraq, made plain, homemade yogurt, and it was amazing. I’ve never been able to duplicate that taste in a commercial/packaged yogurt.

• Lori Yates replied: — September 22nd, 2015 @ 10:57 am

Oh, I totally hear you. I don’t think I ate much yogurt as a kid, either. I definitely thought it was too tart. My tastes have definitely changed a bit, but I still prefer plain, more savory yogurt. I need to try my hand at homemade yogurt, because it sounds amazing!