First, a little announcement: I just launched my “Resources” page! It can always be found up there in the right corner, under the pile of lemons. This is an EPIC guide to the tools I use to cook all the food you see here on Foxes Love Lemons, as well as the equipment I use to photograph it. Take a virtual tour of my kitchen cabinets and poke around.
Happy Sunday! I hope you’ve had a good Labor Day weekend so far. Mine has been spent having dinner with friends, going to the farmer’s market, and spending a day riding roller coasters and drinking frozen lemonades at Cedar Point.
What are you cooking for Labor Day weekend? To be honest, I don’t cook much on holiday weekends. It’s all about relaxation, so if I do end up cooking, there’s some requirements 1.) It has to be a complete meal, all in one dish, 2.) It should require absolute minimal effort, 3.) Taste great (obviously), and 4.) It should probably be done on the grill (that way I can make my husband grill it while I continue to relax).
These Deluxe Pizza Burgers should fit the bill in all of those categories. They’re based on a dish my mom made when I was a kid, updated to taste like the world’s most glorious pizza combination: pepperoni, mushrooms and green pepper. The pepperoni and mushrooms are blended right into the hamburger, the pepper is quickly grilled while the burger is cooking away, and everything is topped with gooey mozzarella and savory pizza sauce.
- 1-1/4 pounds ground round
- 4 ounces sauteed or canned mushrooms, roughly chopped3 ounces pepperoni, roughly chopped
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 4 (1/-2 thick) slices of green bell pepper
- 4 slices mozzarella cheese
- 3/4 cup prepared pizza sauce
- 4 hamburger buns
- Preheat grill for direct grilling over medium-high heat. In large bowl, combine beef, mushrooms, pepperoni, oregano and garlic powder. Form into four patties, being careful not to overwork the meat.
- Place burgers on hot grill rack. Cover and cook 10 minutes or until internal temperature reaches 135 degrees F for medium rare doneness, turning once (flip very carefully – they’re sort of fragile!) During last three minutes of cooking, place green pepper on grill rack, and top burgers with cheese slices. Cook pepper just until slightly softened; cook burgers until cheese melts.
- Meanwhile, place pizza sauce in microwave safe bowl; cover and microwave 45 seconds or until hot. Serve burgers on buns, topped with green pepper and pizza sauce.