Zucchini & Corn Mini Pizzas
Seeing as how my husband Jeff has a monthly pizza “guest post” on this blog, you’d think he’s the only one in our household who makes pizza. But that’s not true. I whipped up some mini pizzas for you today, AND a leftover pasta bowl using the same ingredients that you can pack for lunch tomorrow. Do Jeff’s pizza recipes come with leftover ideas? I think not.
There are so many great vegetables in season in the summer that sometimes I feel like I want to have five different vegetable side dishes at any given dinner. One strategy to eating a ton of veggies is to pile them all on a pizza – then there’s no need for side dishes! Here, I’ve kept it to just my two summer favorites – corn and zucchini. I took a little help from the store with pre-made mini pizza crusts, then topped those with creamy ricotta cheese. Corn and sautéed zucchini are piled on top, and the pizzas can be garnished as desired by each family member – Parmesan cheese, red pepper flakes, freshly cracked black pepper – or all three.
As a bonus recipe, I’ve created a pasta bowl for lunch the next day from leftover pizza toppings! “Cook once, eat twice” should be every busy family’s motto.
For a fun family meal like mini pizzas, try Re-Play feeding essentials. They’re made in the USA, from recycled milk jugs. They’re a great option for parents who want to make the planet a better place for their children as well as future generations. All Re-Play items are made from curbside collected HDPE plastic (the power of recycling!). The recycled plastic is FDA approved food grade material, and both the products themselves and the minimal packaging are suitable for recycling (again!).
Zucchini & Corn Mini Pizzas
Yield: Serves 4, twice (serving size is 1/2 mini pizza per person)
Prep Time: 25 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
For the Zucchini & Corn Mini Pizzas:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 medium zucchini, sliced 1/4-inch thick
- Pinch of kosher salt
- 2 mini pizza crusts
- 1 container (15 ounces) ricotta cheese
- 2 cups corn kernels
- Grated Parmesan cheese, ground black pepper and/or red pepper flakes, for garnish (optional)
For Leftover Rotini Bowls with Veggies & Ricotta:
- 8 ounces veggie rotini
Grated Parmesan cheese, ground black pepper and/or red pepper flakes, for garnish (optional)
- Make the Zucchini & Corn Mini Pizzas: Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add zucchini and cook 4 to 6 minutes or until zucchini is golden brown, stirring and turning occasionally. Remove from heat; season with salt.
- Place pizza crusts on rimmed baking pan. Spread each pizza crust with 1/3 cup ricotta. Top with 1/2 of zucchini and 1/2 of corn. Cover and refrigerate remaining zucchini, corn and ricotta. Transfer pizzas to oven; bake 5 minutes or until everything is heated through. Cut each pizza into 4 pieces and serve garnished with Parmesan, black pepper and/or red pepper flakes, if desired.
- Make the Leftover Rotini Bowls with Veggies & Ricotta: Cook rotini according to package instructions. Divide between 4 lunch containers; divide remaining zucchini, corn and ricotta over pasta. When ready to eat, reheat in microwave and serve garnished with Parmesan, black pepper and/or red pepper flakes, if desired.
Making one of my recipes? Please let me know by sharing a photo on my Facebook page, or uploading to Instagram or Twitter with the tag #foxeslovelemons. It would make my day!
Disclaimer: This post is part of an ongoing relationship I have with Re-Play for recipe development. Posts like this help me pay for the costs associated with this blog (groceries…lots of groceries), and help support me as I pursue a career in recipe development and food photography. All opinions are 100% my own.