Spring Salad with Deviled Egg Vinaigrette
I registered for the ginkgo leaf salad servers you see in these photos for my wedding, six years ago. Nobody bought them off our registry, but I used some of our wedding gift money to go buy them for
Having been obsessed with the unique look of ginkgo leaves for most of my life, these servers struck my eye and I couldn’t get them out of my head.
I bought them, then found a safe home for them in the back of the utensil drawer and didn’t use them once in five years. It’s not because I forgot that they were there. A few times a year, I would unwrap them from their cloth sheath and admire them.
It’s that they seemed too special for an everyday side salad for two. Plus, who puts a salad in a serving bowl for two people, anyway? You just build it in your bowls, duh. Since we spend most holiday meals with our parents, these servers got no love on holidays, either.
But you know how people say you should wear your pearls and nice jewelry instead of saving it for special occasions? If you keep saving things for a special occasion, you’ll never find one special enough. I’m taking this philosophy from now on with these ginkgo servers.
They’re coming out of the drawer this month, because it’s National Salad Month (and National Vinegar Month)! Seems like a special enough occasion to break out a real salad bowl and servers to me.
I missed my chance on making any deviled eggs this Easter (a sinus infection took me out and prevented it). So to make up for that, I’ve made a simple and healthy spring salad with mixed greens, tomatoes, roasted asparagus and hard-boiled egg whites, and topped it all with a deviled egg vinaigrette.
Hard-boiled egg yolks are combined with Dijon mustard, paprika, horseradish, red wine vinegar and olive oil for a vinaigrette that has all of the flavor of classic deviled eggs!
Psst – for a fun, spooky twist on deviled eggs, check out my Halloween Deviled Eggs!
For the Deviled Egg Vinaigrette:
- 3 hard-boiled egg yolks
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon prepared horseradish
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- Pinch of kosher salt and ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup olive oil
For the Salad:
- 3 hard-boiled egg whites, sliced
- 1/2 pound asparagus, roasted or grilled
- 6 cups spring mix
- 1 cup grape tomatoes
- Make the Deviled Egg Vinaigrette: In mini food processor or blender, puree egg yolks, vinegar, horseradish, mustard, paprika, salt and pepper until well combined. With processor running, slowly drizzle in oil until all oil is incorporated.
- Make the Salad: In a large serving bowl, toss together egg whites, asparagus, spring mix and tomatoes. Serve with Deviled Egg Vinaigrette